Another great week of dinner’s in the Green Household. I had a few experiments in the kitchen that were met with mixed reviews. Here is what we had…
Stuffed Chicken Breast – This is such an easy dish to make but it looks and tastes like Gourmet!! I often make this when I have guests over. I fillet out a chicken breast (depending on the size of the breasts, I can usually make 2 rolls from 1 breast), put in a scoop of prepared instant stuffing and a scoop of spinach, roll, wrap in bacon and then bake for 1 hr @ 350 degrees (I put mine on a rack in a casserole pan so the fat drips off.). I serve with Hollandaise sauce on top and a salad on the side!
Total Cost – $7.48
- Chicken Breasts – $1.77/lb x 1.5 lbs = $2.66
- ShopRite Stuffing $1.19
- Green Giant Spinach- On sale $0.99 – Coupon = $0.65
- Smithfield Bacon- on sale $2.99 – $1 mfc coupon = $1.99
- Hollandaise Sauce mix- $0.99
- Earthbound farms salad – $0.99 – $0.75 coupon = Free
Mexican Chicken & Rice– This was mostly out of a box since we had cheer practice and had limited time. I cut a chicken breast up into bite size pieces and brown in a pan. Then, I use a box of Goya Mexican rice (lower sodium mix) and prepare it as directed. I toss in the chicken and let it cook. Served with Birds Eye Southwestern Corn.
Total Cost- $3.69
- Goya Mexican Rice- $1.99 – $0.55 Coupon (dbled) = $0.89
- Chicken Breast – $1.77/lb = $1.80
- Birds Eye- Southwestern Style Corn- On sale $2.50 – $0.75 cpn (dbled) = $1
Portobello Pork Lo Mein – This one was experimental. I thought it was ok but I would make some changes if I were to ever make it again. (The 1st thing I would change is use less pasta!) Here is the link to the recipe. I substituted pork, cut into very small strips, for chicken since we had already had chicken twice this week. I served with Tei Pei mini eggrolls.
Total Cost – $4.04
- Boneless Pork hops- $2.18
- Ronzoni Spaghetti- on sale $0.88, used $1/2 cpn = $0.38
- 4 Earthbound Farm carrots – $0.99/ lb – $0.75 cpn (dbld) = free
- 1/2 pack Baby Bella mushrooms – $1.99/ pack = $0.98
- 2 cups Earthbound Farms Spinach – $2.50/ pack – $0.75 cpn = $1 pack = $0.50
- Tei Pei Eggrolls – $0.99 – $1 cpn = Free
- cornstarch, honey, vinegar, salt, ginger and oil – on hand
Buffalo Chicken & Pasta Salad– Another quick, but favorite dinner of ours. I brown chicken fillets in a pan, and top with Franks Red Hot Sauce and serve them up with a quick pasta salad that I make out of tri-color pasta, tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, and Italian dressing. I ate mine atop a bed of fresh spinach.
Total Cost – $5.84
- Chicken Breasts – $1.77/ lb = $2.66
- Franks Red Hot Sauce – $1.79 – $0.75 cpn (dbld) = $0.29
- Tri-Color Pasta- $0.38
- Tomato- $0.65
- Earthbound Farms Organic celery- $0.99 – $0.75 cpn (dbld) =free
- Baby Bella Mushrooms – $1.99/pack = $0.98
- Wish-Bone Italian Dressing – on sale $0.88 – $1/2 cpn = $0.38
- Earthbound Farms Spinach – $2.50 – $0.75 cpn (dbld) = $1 pack = $0.50
Cajun Fried Fish– I was seriously craving some fish & chips! I settled for some cajun style tilapia that I paired up with some leftover pasta salad from the night before. I also served it up with a side salad.
Total Cost – $6.49
- McCormick Golden Dipt Cajun Style Fish Fry Mix -$1.99/ box = $0.50
- Tilapia Fillets – $5.99
- Leftover Pasta Salad – Free
- Dole Extra Veggie Salad Mix – $2.50 – Free cpn = FREE
Total Cost for the Week: $27.54
What’s for dinner in your house?